Maybe it’s because we are under a frost warning. Maybe it’s because my family is at the beach sans me. Maybe it’s just because grilled fruit is the best-but this dish I made a few weeks ago is on my brain. When Kroger placed most of their summer stone fruits on sale to make way for acorn squash, apples, pears, and all things fall, I snatched up these nectarines and was determined to find a yummy way to use them for a final summer hoorah.
I had never used a grill pan before getting married, but I probably use it once a week now! They’re great for when grilling outside isn’t the most ideal option (it’s raining, Sam has to work late, or you’re just plain hungry and can’t wait for the charcoal to heat up). They’re especially great for grilling fruit!
We had some extra nectarines that were delicious to eat plain for a pre-dinner snack. I also threw some in a smoothie for breakfast the next morning! I’m obsessed with these caramelized onions, which is saying something because I don’t really even like onions. They are the same ones we used to top our pizza!
The flavor combo of this dish is unreal! The sweetness of the onions and nectarines complement the saltiness of the chops and the cheese unbelievably! I love how this dinner felt kinda fancy when it was super easy to make and even more delicious to eat!
Recipe for Pork Chops with Grilled Nectarines, Caramelized Onions, and Feta
adapted from Jenna
What you need:
- 2 pork chops
- 3 nectarines, halved and pit removed
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp feta cheese
- salt and pepper
What to do:
- Drizzle oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add onions and cook for 13-15 minutes. About halfway through cooking, add balsamic vinegar. Once soft and caramelized, remove from heat and set aside.
- Heat your grill pan with a little more olive oil over high heat. Once hot, place your nectarines cut side down on pan. Cook for 5-6 minutes or until soft. Once cooled, slice.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper generously on both sides of pork chops. Place pork chops in the same hot grill pan as you cooked the nectarines, add more oil if needed. Cook chops for 6-7 minutes, or until light pink in middle.
- Top chops with onions, then nectarines, and one tablespoon of feta per chop.